7.17.2006

Sydney Harbour Bridge'06
16/7

Hi everybody! Today I'm gonna tell you about the latest ambition of mine: to master the skill of map-reading. I'm gonna start out from walking around here on my own number 11, and then progress to nearby suburbs on my bicycle!

Just an update: I'm gonna be in Sydney for one year for a degree conversion, and last weekend was our first weekend here. Yuwei and 2 of his friends drove down from Canberra, but since there were 5 girls + 3 guys = 8 people but only one car, some of us still had to take the train to get around.

Back to map-reading, Sunday night was the first time in a loooong while that I had to stare at a map again. I think the last time was when I was the lorry in-charge for LEO Club's old clothes collection. (I seriously don't remember finding it super difficult.)

I must say this, Yuwei's 2 friends were super gentlemanly, which was why they offered to take the train to the city with Freaki, thereby leaving 4 girls with Yuwei in the car. Since Freaki, our default map-reader wasn't with us, the job of navigation fell to me.

Bad choice.

I shall not elaborate on the numerous wrong turns and times Yuwei had to stop to consult the map himself, but you can guess!

When we finally got on Anzac Bridge en route to the city...

The nightmare begun.

I had totally no idea what the road signs were saying, and where we were on the map. Since our final destination was the Sydney Harbour Bridge/ Opera House, Yuwei just kept following the signs the pointed towards the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

One particular moment when I randomly lifted my eyes from the map to try and figure out where we were...

I realise we were ON the Sydney Harbour Bridge!!

Whoa!

"Whoa! Are we on the bridge already???"

"Yea" The driver answers listlessly from beside me.

"Wake Zhijing up!!! Wake her up!!!" I say.

So Zhijing managed to wake up for the last 1/3 of our ride across the Bridge.

And then..... I realised why Yuwei looked so listless. The highway just went on and on and on, with no visible road that offered a return to the city.

Yuwei: We're driving from one suburb to another...

Zhijing: 我是不是可以再睡觉了?

Xueting: 好像是。

*guffaws*

We finally managed to turn back to the city after some hiccups in some place called Crow's ??? or Five ???, and then Yuwei had to pay the $3 toll fee to get us back into the City again.

*smacks forehead*

Well, at least Zhijing was awake throughout the return ride across the bridge this time around!

These are precious photos, Freaki and the 2 guys had already wandered around the place for dunno-how-long.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Where are the guys, u may ask? Well Yuwei was so drained he simply gave up on finding a place to park. So they just waited for us in the car.

-----------------------------------------------------

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
And this is an example of what they are showing at the world famous opera house.
Honest!

-----------------------------------------------------

Afterward Freaki was sore that she missed out on riding in a car across the Sydney Harbour Bridge, she told me "Ask them to come back!"

o.O

Labels: ,



washed away 12:45 PM*